Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School


Matilyn began Mother's Day Out on Tuesday. It was both sad and exciting. I am happy about the opportunity for her to develop her socialization skills (in my line of work you can definitely pin-point those who "don't get out much"), but at the same time she is still my baby and I felt bad about leaving her. Thankfully, her very good friend Ada was there to provide comfort in my absence.

Anyway, the morning went something like this: I introduced her and Matt to her teacher, Ms. Louise (*sidenote I have always loved the name Louise and have decided that when we are forced to get another dog I will call her Louise) because they were unable to attend the meet-the-teacher night due to the aforementioned "virus". As I looked around I had the thought....huh... wonder if my doctor got the due-date wrong...Matilyn sure is a lot smaller than all the other kids. It was also very apparent that she is the only one that is still crawling (not scooting anymore! yay!!!). When I mentioned to Ms. Louise that Matilyn may be fussy and please don't hesitate to call me to come get her, she responded "oh, we won't be calling you". I thought to myself 'that's what you think'. Up until this time my emotions were completely stable, but as I handed Matilyn over to Ms. Louise and she began crying (Matilyn not Ms. Louise) I broke down myself, kissed her goodbye and promptly left...only to be told in the hall by several other well experienced mother's and a great friend "I would make it through this". And I'm happy to report I did, and so did Matilyn. She was there the whole day fussiness and all. When I peered in through the window right before picking her up, the scene was just as I'd left her.... all the other kids playing on the floor and Matilyn in the teacher's arms. Ms. Louise reported that she didn't eat or drink, or sleep but that she could tell Matilyn was a very sweet little girl and that she would adjust well.
Notice the look of worry on her face


Matilyn and her best friend Ada. I am so thankful this sweet little girl and her family. I have always wanted Matilyn to have a very good friend from childhood, and pretty much these girls have no choice!!! Their mommies have already decided for them!

2 comments:

Melodie said...

well she sure looks cute for her first day of school.
sidenote: Louise is Abbie's middle name. it has a ring to it dontcha think?

everyday graces said...

I remember when I dropped Colin off for his first day of "school" (aka MDO) it was so hard. He was 18 months. I remember driving away and looking in the backseat at his empty carseat. It was hard but we survived. And now he loves it (except for the short stint during my 3rd trimester this summer and he cried, throwing himself on the floor in the middle of the hall. Eek!) I'm sure Matilyn will adjust soon enough...