I just removed my little angel that has never nor will ever do anything wrong, from time out. You all know what I'm talking about. And now I find myself chuckling with anxiety, wondering where we went all wrong. Unfortunately, NO! has become her favorite word, quickly followed by NO!NO!NO! and then some tears and what I hate the most whining.
I guess I should fill you in as to why I am in such shock. It's simple. My child is good. And I don't just throw that out there because I'm her mother. From the day that she was born I have received an over-abundance of praises from nursery workers, friends, family, and strangers all with the same remark "Matilyn is such a good baby" or "She is so easy". And while at times I would think to myself, "that's what you think", I must agree that I know I have been blessed with a "good baby". So apparently I really began believing it, until a couple of weeks ago when she began tantrums. So today when I asked her if she would like to go get the mail with mommy, she responded NO!. When I came back in, she was screaming MAIL!MAIL!MAIL! Now up until this point Matt and I had decided that when she would tantrum we would not reward her behavior with attention, so we have chosen to ignore her. However it became obvious this afternoon that ignoring would not do the trick. As an aside, I had tried time-out a couple of months ago for her throwing food on the floor, but quickly found out that it was a game to her (after being removed from the corner she placed herself back in it!) So during this particular moment, I had to make a quick decision...and time-out it was...on the stairs...I told her mommy did not like her words...and turned my back on her. She didn't cry she just sat...and waited. After her minute was up I took her down.
At this point, I'm not declaring a success; however, she did not place herself back in time-out.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
oh how i just needed that laugh. thanks!
Uh oh..I haven't tried time-outs with Larkin yet...she hasn't really done anything that would make me give her one I guess. However...today she put an entire magnet in her mouth which i proceeded to freak out about and say, very loudly, no no no!!! I think it scared her ... maybe I should have tried timeout then!! It sounds like it working alright with Matilyn so good luck!!
That's too funny. The other day Colin misbehaved in a major way and I was going to give him a spanking but then when the time came the way he looked with his puppy dog eyes and his pleading for one that didn't hurt was too much and I started cracking up.
I love reading your blog....How do you know Justin and Melissa McAdams?? I grew up with them!!!!
Post a Comment