

Well, we attempted cereal for the first time this past Sunday. I thought I might share with you a couple of tips should you attempt this little stunt on your own. First of all I should let you know that Matilyn is now 5 months old and according to our pediatrician cereal is due to start at 4 months. However, call me "old fashion" but what we've been doing has worked quite well, therefore I have really seen no need to advance to solids. Plus the speech path in me says that 4 months is awfully early to begin food. As for the tips:
#1 don't wait until your child is STARVING to decide that now is the time to try something new
#2 although it is dang cute, don't start laughing/smiling during the feeding process as such behavior leads to reciprocation from your child, thus resulting in cereal coming out as opposed to going in. which leads me to the third tip
#3 Sunday clothes are not the proper attire for this routine. and lastly
#4 consult baby book regarding 'starting solids' prior to first attempt
Anyway, since the first attempt resulted in the above we decided to forgo the cereal until a later date, although, Matilyn managed to swallow a couple of bites very well. As mentioned though, I did some reading after the fact and am agreeing with my baby book that babies aren't really meant to eat solids until teeth arrive. Which makes perfect sense-I mean in the olden days there were no jars of baby food so until they got teeth they were forced to bf. Must be the way God intended it. So my philosophy is 'don''t fix what isn't broken'. Or it's my philosophy at least until Wednesday when we start our 'Along the Toddler Way' parenting class and then we'll just see what they have to say about it.


1 comment:
Hey Katie,
Wait however long you want but Katelyn didn't get ANY teeth until her first birthday so I don't know if you want to hold off that long!
Post a Comment